NEW ALBANY, Ind. — Due to the current health crisis caused by COVID-19, IU Southeast’s traditional school year kick-off events will look a little different this year.
IU Southeast will still welcome students home to their lodges for the 2020-21 school year, but health and safety measures will be taken to support the well-being of students and staff.
Students living on campus will move in between Friday, Aug. 21, and Sunday, Aug. 23. Classes for the fall semester begin Monday, Aug. 24. Students can have two support persons to help them move into their room assignments. All residents and support persons must wear a mask during move-in. All residents will also be required to complete on-arrival testing for COVID-19 before checking into their assignment.
IU Southeast has five on-campus lodges. Each lodge features apartment-style housing for students with a Great Room, computer lab, laundry and vending services and study areas. Each apartment includes a full kitchen, bathroom and living room. There are one-, two- and four-bedroom layouts available. Apartments are fully furnished and come with basic cable and wireless internet.
A virtual New Student Induction Ceremony is scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 23, at 4 p.m. Induction Day is a longstanding tradition to officially welcome new students into IU Southeast’s academic community. Students will receive an email invitation with login instructions for the event.
Week of Welcome begins on Monday, Aug. 24, and runs through Friday, Aug. 28. Wearing a mask and practicing six feet physical distancing is required for all in-person events to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19. All gatherings will be limited to 25 people or less. The schedule for the week is as follows:
Week of Welcome
Monday, Aug. 24
- #ChalkArtIUS Student Org Chalk Art Contest
- 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., Willow Parking Lot
- #MugsIUS20 w/ Earth & Fire Pottery By You
- 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Earth & Fire Pottery By You, 4212 Charlestown Rd, New Albany, IN
Tuesday, Aug. 25
- Comedian Joe Deuce
- 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., McCullough Plaza
- Instagram Virtual Involvement Fair
- 12 p.m., online event
Wednesday, Aug. 26
- America’s Speed Painter: Evan Struck
- 12 to 1 p.m., McCullough Plaza
- Facebook Virtual Involvement Fair
- 12 p.m., online event
Thursday, Aug. 27
- Line Dancing with Lindsey Cook
- 12 to 1 p.m., University Center Breezeway
- Steel City Pops
- 12 p.m., McCullough Plaza
Friday, Aug. 28
- #MugsIUS20 with Earth & Fire Pottery with You
- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Earth & Fire Pottery By You, 4212 Charlestown Rd, New Albany, IN
- Bonfire & S’mores Group 1
- 7:30 to 8:15 p.m., Cul de Sac between UC North and Knobview Hall
- Bonfire & S’mores Group 2
- 8:30 to 9:30 p.m., Cul de Sac between UC North and Knobview Hall